Thursday, December 02, 2004

Reality TV Conspiracy

I am not a big fan of Reality TV. I have (proudly) never watched an episode of Survivor. The Bachelor? What's that?

But this season, I have been pulled into the Apprentice. I like it. It's good drama, it's good TV.

But there is another type of reality program out there. It comes in many forms. This type of reality program is called "Shows that try to make Underling cry."

For example: I watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition on Sunday nights. Initially, I thought the concept was cool. It was like While You Were Out on crack...a whole house renovated in 7 days? How cool is that!?!

And the show was doing something nice for people who needed it. ABC and Sears were doing a good deed. Giving back...

And then they started trying to outdo themselves every week. Every family situation just grows more and more pitiful every week. They find new diseases to feature, new disabilities (a favorite this season seems to be autism...they've had at least two autistic children featured.)

Also, I hate Ty Pennington. I hated him on Trading Spaces, and I hate him now. But he keeps giving the big brothers and big sisters of cute disabled children college scholarships. Not to mention the inclusion of various stars who lend their support. (Randy Travis visits the farmers, Marlee Matlin visits the deaf family...)

So, that show has become a total train wreck for me. I don't want to watch, but I simply must. And I cry like a five year old girl every week.

But last night I was forced to draw a line in the sand. As I sat there watching ABC's Wife Swap and actually felt a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as the white trash teenage girl came to realize how much she loved her mother's 350 pound common-law husband...I had to say no.

I immediately changed the channel.

Stop it reality TV. Stop trying as hard as you can to emotionally manipulate me. I'm done giving you my tears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home