Monday, December 20, 2004

Christmas is Coming...

Yesterday I went out and completed my Christmas shopping. I purchased a few gifts for various nieces and nephews and then took care of me.

I bought two pairs of shoes, a new pair of slacks, a new dress shirt, and various other little things I felt I needed.

While I was at Best Buy I ran into my high school drama teacher, Ms. Morgan. She's a vice-principal now in another district. I probably haven't seen her in four years. The first thing she said when she saw me was, "Oh my God, you're an adult."

Yes, yes I am. I'm older now than she was when she was my teacher.

It got me thinking again about age. My "baby" sister is 23 and has a baby of her own.

My big sister is nearing 35.

My parents are in their sixties.

And it's been a decade since high school.

I realize that I'm by no means "old", but I don't feel like I should be this close to thirty. I feel like I've barely been aout of college a year, when it's actually been closer to five years since I graduated.

I feel like I just started at DHS, but I've actuallty been here since September, 17th, 2001.

Some days I think about my niece and nephew who are in the latter half of elementary school and I'm incredibly envious of them. All they have to worry about is their homework and and making sure they don't piss off their mother. They don't have to worry about paying bills, making sure their insurance coverage is sufficient. They don't worry about whether they're contributing enough to their 401K and retirement accounts.

I no longer want the responsibility that comes with age.

I really want to be a kid again...

1 Comments:

Blogger matty said...

I guess I wouldn't mind being a kid again if I could experience it with better parents. ...a lot better. And, if I could skip the whole drug/peer pressure thing. ...of course, if it were not for drugs --- how would I have gotten spending money? Oh, wait -- maybe this is all where better parenting comes in!

Oh, and I would not want to have to go thru the whole building up of an immune system.

You know, maybe the dread I had for school tests was worse than the "dread" I have for projects at work with a deadline.

I don't know. I guess I would prefer to go back to 27 and just stay there. That was my fave age. Old enough to be treated as an adult, but young enough to be excused if you failed to act like one!

kisses from boston,
matt

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home