Saturday, December 25, 2004

Merry Christmas

Well, it's been a most interesting X-mas day for me today. My family is actually celebrating tomorrow, so I spent the better part of the day watching my new South Park Season 2 DVD (bought with the lovely giftcard Nads gave me) and posting on a new local forum that my brother told me about.

I got onto a thread there that was talking about whether or not a local news station's on air holiday greeting, to be aired throughout the holiday season should state "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas". The lead anchor man was telling his Sunday School class about it and said that he had told producers that he would not participate in a "Happy Holidays" ad...only a "Merry Christmas" ad.

So, I got to thinking about it. I posted a long winded reply on that thread that I'll try to condense here.

If the ad were made to run, specifically on Christmas...then fine...say Merry Christmas. But if, as was the case here, it was being made to run throughout the holiday season...there is nothing wrong or disrespectful to those of Christian faith to change the wording to Happy Holidays.

I even suggested that instead of a Happy Holidays they do an ad that incorporated several of the religious holidays that are celebrated this time of year, from Christmas to Hanukkah to Ramadan.

I know that we all think that our religious views (or lack of religious views) are the correct way. We have to feel that way to some extent or we have no real faith. But, does that mean that we cannot respect the beliefs of others? Beliefs that are most times as real and a dearly held as ours.

Kelley OGle, the newscaster mentioned earlier views himself as a journalist...however, he's no exactly being objective in this. He seems to want to say that anyone else's feelings are irrelevant in this matter because he believes that Christmas is the "true" holiday. Forget about the thousands of Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and others out there in our city. He wants to make a statement...he wants to be true to his beliefs.

But, don't you think he could find a way to be true to his beliefs that at least showed some level or respect for those of other beliefs?

I would hope so...

Anyway...I hope, whatever you're celebrating this holiday season that you were able to celebrate with family in the presence of love and grace and that this entire season be blessed for you.

I'm off for move DVD time now...see you cats later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home