Monday, September 12, 2005

Sleep Problems...

I've been an insomniac since my early teen years. I've been one of those guys who would lay awake for hours and hours really wanting to fall asleep but never quite able to get there. Then, right about the time I would need to get out of bed I'd start to drift off...

This is still a problem. It's probably the biggest contributor to why I like the drink so much. But, the drink is a part of the past for now...so I've been faced with a new challenge...how to fall asleep.

I talked it over with the head doctor last week and he suggested that the problem with sleeping can be solved as easily through change of routine and attitude as it can be with prescriptions/chemicals. So he made a few suggestions...and I'll be damned...he was right.

I gave myself a consistent bedtime. I have a new nightly regime I must accomplish before bedtime...and I have a cup of tea (green with chamomile) when I've finished. And finally, I get in bed when I truly start to feel sleepy. Then I can leave my lamp on and try to read a few pages...and I'm generally out...

But what sucks is that now I'm waking up even earlier.

This morning, I was up and eating breakfast when my alarm finally went off. I tried to lay in bed and wait for it...but I just felt like a slug laying there, so I finally got up and around. Now I'm sitting here with an hour to kill before I can even leave for my office.

I mean, I still have to shower and shave...but come on...on a slow day that only takes like 15 minutes for me...and I've got a lot of time to kill.

So, I need to find something more to do to fill up my mornings before work, or else I'll break down and buy cigarettes and chain smoke on my balcony...and no good can come of that.

So, I'll go and finish getting ready for the day...

I'm just afraid I'm turning into a morning person...and I really don't like morning people. :-)

Later...

2 Comments:

Blogger PoetX said...

A confirmed night owl here. Morning people are just plain weird! ;)
I mean what really happens first thing in the morning? It's just a load of miserable people trudging to work, there's never anything good on the T.V. and breakfast, what kind of meal is that, more like a snack !!!

Hope you are sleeping soundly now. Maybe you could get someone to sing sweet lullabys to soothe you to sleep!

xxx

11:33 AM  
Blogger matty said...

I go thru periods when I don't need much sleep at all and then I need like 12 hours a night. Insomnia sucks and I've always had to turn to chemicals to help when that happens.

...of course, I tend to turn to chemicals for everything. I'm healthy that way.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home