Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I WANT MY FOUR YEARS BACK!!!

So, Saturday the 17th marked my fourth anniversary as an employee of the great state of Oklahoma.

It's official. I've been giving out food stamps for longer than I went to college.

How do I feel about this? Well, I really hate my job. I've hated it most every day since 09/17/01 when I started. I hate getting up in the morning and coming into the fucking office to be screamed and cursed at. I'm tired of trying to help people while just being accused of being lazy.

I'm sick of watching perfectly healthy adults sit on their ass and live off the system for years at a time simply because they had the means to reproduce.

I would love to get out of here and do something else. I would love to actually get back into school and finish my master's degree.

But this place has sapped me of my energy...as much as I hate it...I don't seem to mind it anymore. I come in...I do my work...it's all pretty brainless. It's convenient. It's easy. It's become routine.

But one day soon I'll snap...go berserk...and god help those around me when it happens...because heads will roll.

4 Comments:

Blogger matty said...

Aw, Sweetie, me thinks it time for a career change! Have you thought about it moving into the corporate sphere for a few years and making some money --- then you could be back in school by 2008 if not sooner! ...maybe within 6 months of the new job! ???? go at night?

Big corporate sucks, but it pays well. And you have the skills set --- just don't let 'em get you for over a decade like they got me! ...talk about sap your energy --- they can actually start to sap your soul! ...but a person can do anything for a couple of years!

Sending you a big hug!
matt

1:23 AM  
Blogger PoetX said...

At last someone else who understands my pain, but still be there in 8 years and then start crying!!

'Now where did I put that AK-45?'

4:34 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Can you make a division or agency change? That might make the difference...if you felt that you were doing something more substantive than the assistance portion.

My husband has been with the state for 8+ years now and an agency change made all the difference. I can definitely understand your disillusionment with the state though. It's no wonder things are so screwed up with all the bureaucracy. If private industry ran their business this way, the CEOs and CFOs would be locked up.

*stepping off soap box*

9:15 PM  
Blogger PoetX said...

It's been a week dear Underling!
Is 'the pilot' back by any chance?! lol

You take all the time in the world and just enjoy yourself.

xxx

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home