Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Weekend News

Okay...so now that that's out of the way...

Had a somewhat busy weekend. After the gym, Friday night was spent in my recliner watching the first four episodes of Rome. Love it! I'm very very impressed with the show...and James Purefoy as Marc Anthony...fuck!

Saturday morning was spent at the gym and running errands and the evening was all about work at the restaurant.

Sunday was hellish. Got up at 7:00 so I could go to the 8:30 service at church (something I'm reintroducing to my life) and then drove up to meet my parents.

You see, we've officially sold the house my grandmother lived in for the last 30 years. We now have only a few weeks to clear out 30 years worth of crap. And this woman has saved everything. It was a nice look into the future...we'll be doing the same thing for my mother's house when the time comes...

I even found, at one point, an entire box of used nylons. Why?

So, we're going through stuff, throwing away a fair amount and listening to my mother cry all day long.

See, my grandmother isn't dead. Her mind is just gone...and she's being moved into the Alzheimer's care unit at the nursing home next week. So, it's been a very difficult time for my mom.

But I found some wonderful things to keep. I got the old Radio console that has fascinated me since I was 3. I got the huge wood framed mirror that was hanging in the hall.

I got my grandmother's cutting board. I found a box of letters from my mother to my grandmother that span the first 10 years of my parents marriage. I found letters from my uncle to my grandmother from the like 12 days he spent in the Navy.

And I found a box, tied up in her closet, that is filled with every drawing card and letter that myself and my siblings gave to my grandmother. And each piece is labeled on the back with the name and the date the she received it.

So, emotionally drained, I got home just before 8:00...and completely forgetting that I had promised my friend Randall that I would watch it at his house, I crashed in my chair and watched desperate Housewives. After that I went through my DVR list and found the new episode of Rome and watched it while I had a glass of wine.

Barely made it to work yesterday morning on time...and was two hours late this morning.

But...I'm on week 4 of my gym project and have only missed one day. I'm starting to see real results in my arms...so I now have a visible motivation for going every day.

Anyway...I really should get back to work...

Seacrest Out!

1 Comments:

Blogger matty said...

It is so emotional to clean out a Grandmother's home. I've done it twice. On the one hand it made me feel good to find certain things and certain memories -- but on the otherhand it broke my heart.

Mean while --- I saw an episode of ROME. Alan convinced me to take a look --- he is really into it. I don't know -- it didn't grab me. Made me think of Dynasty gone all Roman Empire Era or something. Very Italian production, tho!

Word verification looks like "Osama" tonight. ...creepy.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home